A reader Mr. E. Evans has sent this picture of nurses. He thinks that it was taken in 1962 in East Parade, Rhyl, and has no other information about it. The War Memorial Hospital in Grange Road was still in existence at the time, as well as the present Alex, and – if memory serves – there was a nurses’ hostel in East Parade. Can anyone shed further light on the picture for Mr. Evans?
THU 8th JUL 2010 UPDATE: Gwen Shevloff has written to say: "These are not hospital nurses; they are members of Red Cross. The photo may have been taken in West Parade on corner of Butterton Road. There was nurses’ home at the former Pier Hotel in East Parade (top of Church Street). It was bought by Clwyd and Deeside Hospital Management Committee whose area manager was a Mr. William Roberts, in the early days of the National Health Service."
Gwen worked for the NHS in those days. She started on July 5th 1948 as a clerk. The service was based at Royal Alexandra Hospital then at ‘Rhianfa’ in Russell Road.
WED 15th MAR 2017 UPDATE: A recent arrival here at Jones Towers is this 1927 postcard of Rhyl Voluntary Aid Detachment (known as V.A.D.) by a London publisher.
Standing far left is Miss Simocks. Standing 3rd from left is Miss Bromley the Commandant. Seated 3rd from left is Dorothey Dixon - that’s the way it is spelt on the reverse side of the card.