‘Rhyl - The Town And Its People’ by J.W. Jones, published in 1973, was the first substantial book about Rhyl history to be written by a resident. His second and final book ‘Rhyl And Roundabout’, published in 1976, was a collection of his pieces from Rhyl Journal. The two books are must-read items for anyone interested in local history. They are both out of print but can be found in Rhyl Library.
J.W. (Joseph William) Jones (1903-1985) was the son of a furniture maker. He served two years as a war reserve constable in Liverpool City Police, and then became landlord of the Swan Inn, Russell Road, Rhyl, from 1944 until 1958 - hence he was known to many as ‘Jones The Swan’ or ‘Joe Swan’. In addition to local history he was involved in local drama productions and light entertainment.
The lower picture shows Plas Gwyn, 21 Russell Road, a Grade II listed building two doors down from the Swan. Plas Gwyn was his home for many years. Anyone got a picture and/or some memories of Joe to share? If so, please get in touch. The email address is: email@example.com
This reference is added here for indexing purposes: Wilderspool brewery.]