The picture of the Royal Alexandra Hospital, Marine Drive, Rhyl, above (TOP) is an undated postcard. Must be later than 1907 because it shows the east wing on the side nearest Prestatyn. The wing was opened in 1908 and was the last to be added.
The shot of Gertrude Ffoulkes Ward is postmarked 1905 and was sent from a patient at the Alex to a nurse at Denbighshire Infirmary saying that he would rather be at Denbigh and sending his love to all the nurses.
A phone call to the Alex has confirmed that the wards no longer have names, just numbers – how very modern and boring. Gertrude Ffoulkes was a benefactor who helped to provide enough money for the hospital to be built and, as a token of appreciation, had a ward named after her. Edith Vizard, an early matron, was another.
More material about the Alex and also War Memorial Hospital, Grange Road, would be welcome. And how about some shots of Ysbyty Glan Clwyd under construction? Anybody got any?
Also, Rhyl Urban District Council ran a small hospital for patients with highly infectious diseases such as tuberculosis. It was located on the Kinmel Bay/Towyn side of the river. If you know further details please send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org