Sunday, 11 July 2010

LOWTHER COLLEGE

Bodelwyddan Castle
Bodelwyddan Castle
Click on any picture to see a bigger version.

There has been a previous post about Clarendon School at Kinmel Hall in St. George near Abergele. Clarendon was a private school for girls, and so was Lowther College not a million miles away at Bodelwyddan Castle.

Lowther College as shown in the older picture above (a postcard by by Rae Pickard) started in 1896 in Lytham St. Anne’s, Lancs, and moved to Bodelwyddan Castle in 1920. Eventually the operators of the school bought the castle.

Lowther College was one of the first schools to have a swimming pool, and it had a private golf course too. Boys were admitted from the late-1970s onwards. The school closed down in 1982 due to financial difficulties.

The colour photograph above was taken by Adrian Pingstone in June 2008, by which time the castle was owned by Warner Leisure Group.

--
MON 20th APRIL 2015 UPDATE: Just arrived here at Jones Towers is this card of Bodelwyddan Castle postmarked 1908:


--