Saturday 26 September 2009

SKATES ON # 3

QueenTo complete the current crop of old pics from Bob Henley, here is a 1952 shot, left to right: Barbara Taylor, Gaynor Williams (later Bellis) who was Skating Queen that year, and the late Audrey Davies.

The tradition of having an annual Skating Queen fell by the wayside long before the rink closed. Skating remained popular though, and Bob Henley is still in love with it: “I’ve asked my wife Myra to make sure that when the time comes the coffin is 6 inches longer than the usual measurement so I can wear my skates when I go.”

My thanks to Bob for all that. I would like to make contact with Rhyl roller skater Carmelle Rainford who is believed to be living in Rhuddlan. If anyone knows her whereabouts, please let me know: rhyl.colin.jones@live.co.uk

--