Wednesday 16 September 2009

QUIZ ANSWER # 18

Church Cemetery, Dyserth RoadLast Wednesday I posted a picture of the structure above (TOP) and asked where in Rhyl you would find it. George Owen was quick off the mark with the right answer. He says:

"This is the Entrance to Rhyl Church Cemetery on Dyserth Road. I am particularly familiar with this as my family had the gates refurbished in 2001 in memory of my late parents George and Elizabeth Owen, who ran the Little Pantry Grocers Shop, 128 Vale Road, in the 1960s and 70s. There is a memorial plaque on the inside of the gateway.

"Rhyl Church Cemetery is on the north side of the road (on the left as you leave Rhyl). The cemetery belongs to and is maintained by the Parish of Rhyl; I think it is full and burials take place only in existing family graves. The cemetery on the other side of the road, named Mynwent Maeshyfryd (trans: Beautiful Churchyard), is looked after by Denbighshire County Council."

Thank you, George.

--