Thursday, 4 February 2016


The western side of the seafront, loved by generations of children, has been well featured in this blog. You would find many of its attractions categorised under labels on your left near the top of this page.

Here are a few more images, starting with the relatively uncluttered way it looked in 1960s from the junction of - probably - River Street.


Earlier, in 1940s this was the scene near Queen Street. Robins is now Harker's Corner Cafe - and on opposite corner was Savoy CafĂ©:

Click on any image to see a bigger version.

Above: the ornamental fountain in 1930s. The fountain had been opened in 1892 with a big splash of publicity but the water had been turned off by the time this picture was taken.

The fountain was scrapped during WW2 (1939-45) to provide metal for the war effort.

Below: a picture showing the cycling and tricyling opposite the Queens is always welcome, even a badly-coloured one: 

Here are a couple of contrasting shots of the bandstand to the east of Rhyl Pavilion, in the area that became eventually a roller skating rink. The first must have been taken during or just before WW2:

The lower picture above shows the original bandstand on the same part of the prom. The date would be circa 1901 because in the background there is work in progress on building the Queen's Palace (opened 1902).

Who could resist this striking pic of Punch and Judy opposite West Parade instead of what became the customary position east of High Street? It is Rhyl's first P&C man, Professor Millar and his talking dolls, on a card postmarked 1905:


SUN 14th FEB 2016 UPDATE: Here is an additional image of the cycling park (aka cycling track) in Pier Gardens (aka Queens Gardens!) on a card postmarked 1930:

FRI 20th JUL 2018 UPDATE: And here is the same place before cycles and tricycles arrived. The postmark is indistinct, might be 1916.

Neither Pier Gardens nor Queens Gardens this time but Promenade Gardens. Same location, three names . . .