Sunday 21 June 2009

CLIMATE CHANGE

RhylRecently published was the document 'UK Climate Projections 2009'. It says that in the next 40 or 50 years in Wales as elsewhere, winters are expected to get wetter. Sea levels will rise high enough to pose continuous threats of flooding. Summer temperatures may increase by twice as much as the increase that killed tens of thousands of people across Europe in 2003.

Every day I see wasteful use of fuel, even in my own home. I see cars being used lazily and unnecessarily. Overhead there are aircraft – the biggest polluters of all – ferrying people huge distances for trivial reasons. If we fail to reduce carbon emissions sufficiently the cost of our selfishness would have to be paid by the next generations.

I hear people say, “Why should I worry? I’ll be dead and gone by then!”

You would think they knew nobody with children or grandchildren.

--